Keep in mind that the HAMP Solution Center will only handle escalations for borrowers in the U.S. Treasury sponsored programs like Making Home Affordable or the HAFA Short Sale program.
To start, first, I work through your normal contacts and channels with the servicer. If that does not resolve the issue, elevate your concern to a senior manager within the servicer's organization.
Below are some examples from the HAMP website as well as the summary of the escalation process and a list of cases that represent valid reasons for escalation:
- Inquiries regarding improper program denials.
- Servicer refuses to stop a scheduled foreclosure sale on a borrower's house while the borrower is being evaluated for HAMP or other program.
- Servicer did not assess the homeowner for the applicable MHA program(s) according to program guidelines.
- Servicer instructs the borrower to miss a payment.
- Servicer advises the borrower to intentionally misrepresent their personal or financial information.
- Servicer is not responding to borrowers inquiries in a timely manner regarding MHA program(s)
- Servicer says they are not participating in HAMP, but the loan's investor is a GSE.
- Servicer says borrower doesn't qualify, but counselor has reason to believe that the borrower is eligible.
Homeowner Resources for Complaints & Victims of Scams